Job Description for Musician/Accompanist
Reports to: Music Director
Organization Mission: To provide curriculum-integrated dance residencies to children in elementary schools using live music and a proven teaching methodology to develop self-esteem, resilience, critical thinking and collaboration.
North Carolina Arts in Action is founded with the knowledge that the arts have a unique power to engage and motivate children to excellence. Our programs help children discover their potential by motivating them to believe in themselves, value artistic expression, and develop a personal standard of excellence.
The Musician/Accompanist is responsible for supporting the successful artistic outcomes of in school programs at assigned partner schools, using the NDI teaching techniques and pedagogy. The Musician is part of NC AIA’s teaching team and is one of the "faces" representing the organization in the community and beyond.
• Understand and can communicate the organization's vision, mission, strategy and objectives
• Participate in the planning of the teaching curriculum and communicate regularly with all staff and necessary school personnel at their assigned in-school programs
• Work in collaboration with Music, Artistic and Associate Artistic Directors to produce documents and teach themes and curricula using live music
• Provide musical accompaniment at assigned in-school residencies
• Assist in guiding and implementing on-line delivery of NC AIA programs as necessary using online school platforms
• Provide schedule updates or changes to supervisor and assist in the distribution of written materials for the in-school program and collect materials from teachers.
• Participate in kick-off and year-end meetings with partner schools.
• Play in a high-energy musical style complimentary to the specific NDI teaching pedagogy, strategies and methodologies throughout the program
• Other duties as required
Working Conditions, Environment and Physical Requirements:
• Perform his or her functions in a variety of environments including schools, office, residency sites, and other locations
• Requires accompanying and performing during the school day, after school and on weekends
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Believes in the mission of the organization and is passionate about working with children
• Strives for excellence with a "Can Do" attitude
• Applies extensive experience
• Applies professional performance experience
• Participates in nurturing a team atmosphere
• Interacts well with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
• Works collaboratively with poise, grace, and humor in a high energy environment
• Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Is proficient in computer skills
• Presents a professional appearance and phone manner, always wears appropriate attire (NC AIA tee shirt during teaching and appropriate events)
• Beginning school year/ Fall
• Average 15 hours per week at $35/hour.
• Summer and limited weekend hours accompanying NC AIA out-of-school programs.
• Pay rate commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in this position, please send an email with your resume to email@example.com